Hey everyone! Thank you all SO MUCH to those who came to my first Nutrition 101 event.
As promised, here's the recipes for all of the food I made. All recipes are 100% vegan and 100% karma-free.
Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Avocado Garlic Aioli
- 2 - 2 1/2 lbs of smaller potatoes. Red, yellow, whatever you'd like.
- 2 - 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, for seasoning
- Garlic salt
For the Avocado Garlic Aioli Sauce:
- 1 large avocado, ripe!
- 1 large garlic clove, preferably organic
- You can tell if they're organic is the cloves are purple!
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Boil the potatoes until you can stick a fork in them easily
2. Preheat the oven to 450°F
3. Scoop the potatoes out once they're done into a separate bowl. Let them cool for a few minutes while you prepare the baking sheet with coconut oil. (So the potatoes won't stick)
4. Place the potatoes on the sheet one at a time. After one potato is set, lightly 'smash' it with the bottom of a mug so that it flattens out. Not too much, you don't want the potato to take up too much space or push the oil out from underneath.
5. Lightly coat the potatoes with some oil, sprinkle some of that garlic salt on top, and put them in the oven for around 30 minutes, until they start to brown on the edges.
6. While this is cooking, put the garlic clove into a food processor until it's minced. Then add the rest of the aioli ingredients in the processor and blend till super smooth.
7. Remove the potatoes once they're done, sprinkle some parsley on top, and scoop out the aioli sauce onto each potato to your liking. Enjoy!
One Pan Mexican Quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lime, juiced
- Heat the olive oil over a medium high heat. Mince the garlic and jalapeno and sautee them for a minute, stirring the whole time.
- Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, chili powder and cumin.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for around 20 minutes.
- Stir in avocado and lime juice.
Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips vegan
- (They're vegan if you read the label and it does not say "Product contains milk")
- Cacao (Not cocoa!) powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Melt the chocolate chips in a pot over the oven until they're totally melted
- Mash the avocado in a bowl and add the melted chocolate, mix them together very good with a spoon or something
- Refrigerate for 1 hour
- Coat a plate with a layer of cacao powder and cinnamon
- Roll the mixture into little balls with your hands, then roll the balls around on the plate until they are coated.
Pomegranate Chia Seed Pudding
- 1/2 pomegrante, seeded
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup nut milk (It can be almond, coconut, cashew, whichever you prefer)
- Squeeze of agave
- Combine the chia seeds and nut milk together in a bowl, mix well.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- After the 2 hours pass, add a squeeze of agave to your taste, and add the pomegranate seeds.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- This is kind of hard to find, so I linked an Amazon page to a good brand I use. You can find this in Whole Foods as well, but not in Publix. It's an Egyptian superfood with a rich, cheesy flavor loaded with B12 and all the essential amino acids.
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves garliciminced
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 and 1/2 cups plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp white or yellow miso
- 3 and 1/2 cups raw cauliflower florets
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 pound elbow macaroni or other pasta of choice
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the nutritional yeast, mustard, turmeric, tomato paste, garlic, and salt. Stir and cook for about 45 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the almond milk, scraping the bottom of the pan as you stir it in. Bring to a steady simmer.
Add the miso, cauliflower, and cashews to the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, and partially cover the pan. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- Add the mixture to your blender (working in batches if needed; I divide this in half to use in my Ninja) and blend until completely smooth.
- IMPORTANT: Do not fully close the top of the blender. The heat from the sauce will potentially make the blender explode, which is very not good. Blend for a little, then release the heat, repeat until it is smooth. Please be careful with this step, you can get seriously burned or hurt if you just blend high temperature liquids without breaks or caution.